Breast augmentation (also referred to as breast enhancement / breast enlargement) is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures carried out worldwide. Women choose to enlarge their breasts for a variety of reasons, with the most common reasons including gaining a confidence boost, restoring breasts to their natural perky state post-pregnancy or weight loss, and reconstruction after a mastectomy and asymmetry.
Being that breast augmentation is a mainstream procedure, most people don’t realize that there’s a lot of misinformation out there about it. Regardless of your decision to enlarge your breasts, you must understand what’s involved in getting ready for the procedure as well as the recovery process.
Below, you’ll learn about the six most important things to know before getting breast augmentation, according to a world renown surgeon from Michigan. Dr. Michael W. Gray, DO, FACOS is a cosmetic surgeon and the Director of the Michigan Cosmetic Surgery Center and Skin Deep Spa.
1. The Surgeon Performing Your Breast Augmentation Matters
The cosmetic surgeon you choose to perform your breast augmentation is crucial to everything from your comfort level to the final results. At minimum, you want to find a surgeon who is:
- Understanding that passing a test does not equal the skill to perform, the surgeon should be licensed to practice surgery.
- All questions should be answered in the consultation before you have to ask a question.
- Does the surgeon have a large number of before and after photos to showcase his/her ability
- Specializes in breast enhancement, having the training, skills, experience, and excellent results.
Moreover, you want to find a cosmetic surgeon who will make you feel comfortable, heard, and respected. They should happily address any questions or concerns while offering you the best possible advice regarding the aesthetic you want. Alway remember, elective surgery means that you must know enough about the subject to choose wisely. Dr. Gray believes that a patient once educated about the procedure and limitations of surgery will be best able to elect what they wish to do as long as they stay within the confines of the rules.
Dr. Michael W. Gray, DO is a leading cosmetic surgeon not only in the state of Michigan, but also the country. He is very well known for providing an exceptional experience to individuals seeking breast augmentation throughout the world.
2. Your Consultation Is More Than Just a “Meet and Greet”
The purpose of the consultation you’ll schedule with your Michigan cosmetic surgeon (Dr. Gray) goes beyond simply meeting and choosing an implant size. These consultations are scheduled for the following reasons:
- To educate you about the procedure(s) so you can determine what to elect to do.
- To discuss your medical history and ensure you’re healthy enough for the breast augmentation procedure.
- To determine whether or not the surgery is right for you physically, mentally, and emotionally.
- To choose the type of implant that’s best suited for your body.
- To determine the size and shape of the implant you want.
- To discuss the technique and type of incision placement you wish.
- To give the cost of the procedure.
- To cover all the steps of the procedure, from preparing the days before to the recovery and aftercare process.
- To ensure you’re 100% comfortable.
Your consultation is the time to ask your questions and ensure you’re set up for success. More importantly, you want to ensure you and your surgeon are on the same page to achieve your desired results. If you wish to schedule a free consultation with Dr. Gray in West Bloomfield, Michigan, please call us at (248) 538-3333.
3. There Are Certain Risks Involved
While breast augmentation is a common procedure with a high success rate, it’s still associated with several risks. These risks may include:
- Scarring – limited and unlikely with EndoBAM
- Bleeding – unlikely
- Infection – extremely unusual
- Implant rupture and leakage – rare
- Capsular contracture – limited if stay within rules
- Breast implant illness (BII) – DOES NOT EXIST – Dr. Gray will explain at consultation if concerned.
The chances of these complications affecting you post-surgery are very very low, especially with an highly experienced cosmetic surgeon like Dr. Michael W. Gray. However, it’s something that you should be aware of and rest assured every measure is taken to avoid such occurrences.
4. Breast Augmentation Recovery
While the recovery period for breast augmentation isn’t very long, you will feel minimal discomfort for some time. This can be minimized by the method chosen and placement. Dr. Gray will explain more at the consultation.
Several factors will influence your level of discomfort during the recovery period, including:
- Whether the implant placement is above or below the pectoral muscles.
- The technique or approach used and surgeons ability.
- Your individual personality, body and its natural healing process.
It’s normal for most patients’ breasts to feel sore and tight after the procedure. Some also experience feelings of heaviness in their breasts, which is of course expected. The good news is that this typically improves significantly within three to five days after the procedure.
5. Your Results Will Keep Improving With Time
The feelings you have vs healing and recovery process of your breast augmentation procedure is relatively quick. The rate of healing and process to see the final results takes longer.
For the first few months, swelling, muscle spasm and skin growth occurs and is variable between individuals as well as anatomy. Time and patience is key. Although most patients observe a glimpse of immediate results there are those that require more time for this to occur.
For reference, it typically takes up to three to six months for the implants swelling, skin changes and swelling / gathering/ bunching of muscle to resolve and up to 2 years for scars to heal (when muscle is release it retracts – bunching).
6. Follow Up Visits
You’ll be expected to visit your cosmetic surgeon again for a check-up, even after your body has healed and adjusted. These regular visits are essential as your body adapts and start to get back into your regular life routine. It is important for your surgeon the watch this as you heal.
Although implants can last a lifetime no one can tell you they will. Dr. Gray does not feel it is necessary to replace your implants unless you are having issues, wish them to be removed, go larger, smaller or want same but newer. Some people switch types of implant whether saline to silicone or silicone to saline for personal reasons.
Breast enhancement surgery is a decision you want to make knowing all the facts and having chosen the right surgeon for you. Therefore, you’ll only want to consult with a highly skilled and experienced cosmetic surgeon like Dr. Michael W. Gray, DO, FACOS from Michigan Cosmetic Surgery Center and Skin Deep Spa for the best possible outcome.
If you’re thinking about enhancing your breasts, get in touch with us at Michigan Cosmetic Surgery Center and Skin Deep Spa to schedule a consultation. We’ll happily answer all of your questions and help you make the right decision for your body and lifestyle. Call 248-538-3333 or visit anewyou.com